nouns in english-singular and plural nouns examples
As you know that noun simply indicates names like John, Ram, Akbar, Dog, Box etc. But this is not the end of it. So every English learner, preparing for any competitive exam, must know in dept of it. In this article we will discuss about the nouns in english, singular and plural nouns with examples, in advanced level that you must know to avoid any errors .
1. Nouns in english rules for singular and plural:
Some nouns always remain in plural form. These nouns have no singular form, and they take plural verb. You must remember these nouns. Such nouns are-
|People, cattle, assets, achieves, ashes,trousers, bellows, embers, gallows, entrails, proceedings, remains, tactics, vegetables valuables, wages, proceeds etc.|
Lets understand it with examples:
- People do not like to be kept waiting. ( not doesn’t)
- The cattle were grazing in the meadow. (not was)
- The proceeds were deposited in the court.( not was)
- The embers of the fire were still burning.
2. Singular noun with s
Another important point to remember that some nouns looks like plural in form but actually they are singular in their meaning. And they always take singular verb. These nouns are –
|News, innings, politics, economics summons, physics, ethics, rickets, billiards, draughts,etc.|
* Remember: That though this nouns in english look like plural in form, is always treated as a singular . see the below sentences
- What is the latest news?
- No news is a good news. ( not are )
- Economics is a good subject.
- Physics is a demanding subject in this modern day.
3. Class of a noun singular and plural :
Class nouns are always singular,and these are uncountable nouns. you should not use article a and an with such nouns. And class nouns are always treated as singular and must therefore take a singular verb.Here many english learners do mistakes,so you should remember these nouns. These nouns are like-
|Clothing, food, furniture, crockery, cutlery, stationary, knowledge, footwear, scenery, poetry, information, baggage, hair. etc.|
- The scenery of Darjeeling is very beautiful.
- I have no information about his residence.
- The furniture is to be delivered today.
- Her hair is black.
- He has no knowledge of grammar.
* Remember : That we cannot pluralize such noun by adding –s’ or –es , it is incorrect to write ‘sceneries, informations, furnitures, hairs,
We can make such nouns countable by using piece, kinds, etc. in the following way like-
- He gave me a piece of information.
- All pieces of information given by her were reliable.
- Many kinds of furniture are available in that shop.
- I need your two grey hairs.
4.Another important point is that-
Name of certain ailments and of some branches of knowledge or subjects which ends in –s’ are also singular.
|Measles, mumps, shingles, mathematics, physics, economics, ethics.|
- Mumps is a serious illness. (Not are)
- Physics is an important subject in present day. (Not are )
*NB: Do you know that when mathematics means ‘mathematical calculations’ and economics means- “economic facts” then the words are plural like-
- The areas of the room are 140 square feet, if my mathematics are correct. (Not is, because it is mathematics calculation)
- The economics of the situation have been discussed at some length.
5. Some nouns in english have the same form in singular as well as plural. These nouns are –
|Fish, crew, deer, swine, counsel, trout, jury, family, team, etc|
Here are some examples:
- The Indian cricket team is the best. (team is used as a singular)
- Our team are wearing their uniform. (team is used as a plural)
6. Collective nouns:
Collective nouns which indicates a unit such as a group (of things) a crowd (of people) a herd (of cattle) a flock (of sheep) a regiment (of soldiers), are usually singular and they take a singular verb.
- A group of people was siting there.
- A flock of sheep was grazing in the meadow.
* In this two sentences you can notice was‘ singular verb is used because people and flock are singular noun respectively
Thus, noun is not about the names only but it has a deeper function in English grammar. From the above discussion about the singular and plural nouns with examples and their rules are very essential to remember these noun rules for any competitive exam.
* Some important exercises of (singular and plural) noun:
- Fill the gaps with correct form of verb (present tense) in the following sentences. Verb to be used given in the bracket at the end of each sentence.
- These scissors ….. Sharpening. (Need)
- A lot of these mangoes …. … bad. (be)
- Her hairs …. Curly. (is / are)
- The people …hard working. (is /are)
2. Correct the following sentences.
- She gave me informations about this bank.
- The peoples are hard working.
- She has a fifty rupees note.
- The sceneries of Himachal Pradesh are very beautiful.
- These news are false.
- The cattle was grazing in the field.
- Ram was true to his words.
If this article “singular and plural noun“is helpful for you. Please! Share this information.